Saturday 20 March 2021

How to Improve Clay Soil

  How to improve Clay:


First off, this is hard work and the more solid clay your clay is, the harder the work.


Clay soils are immensely improve by adding organic matter and this organic matter is best supplied in the form of strawy stable manure. The more the better. Only apply in the autumn and dig in as deep as you can.


If you cannot get hold of stable manure, leaves, sand,or any other animal manure is good. The idea here is to break up the solid clay and get as much other fiber in amonsg the clay. 


Over years, and I do mean years, the clay will break down. As mention above, it is very imporant to dug in the autumn with clay soil and leave it, hoping for a long winter of hard frost to break it down.



The main way to improve swamp soils is to get rid of the water. In many cases, this will be easy said then done. Doing so will depend on the local circumstances.


In my case, I raised the soil two feet and keep topping up with compost which I get from Oxfords schools and college. I move tons every year and in my case; free. 


No comments:

Post a Comment