Thursday 6 January 2022

Summer Veg

 As we are moving into warmer summers with climate change. It is time I think to consider trying veg that perhaps we would not grow here in the UK.


I have looked at a few that I will try this coming season.


The first is cucumbers, which I normal grow under cover, but this year I will grow them outside in the open, making sure that they a protected from the wind.




How to plant cucumbers:

 cucumber grows well from seed and I aways start mine out in a pot in my glasshouse. The soil must be at least 10 degrees


When to plant cucumbers: 

 Mid march till Mid April.


Feed the soil when planting and feed them weekly with liquid feed once they have set fruit.



 Although they are heat tolerant, they require even and consistent watering to prevent them from becoming bitter.


In hot weather water morning and evening.

Do not overcrowd plants –  give them plenty of room


Pick fruit early in the day and immerse in cold water to lengthen storage time.


No comments:

Post a Comment