Tuesday 14 March 2017

How to clean your pollytunnel

Over the years and winter months, your polytunnel will have been subjected to a great deal of damp weather. This will have left deposits of algae and other dirt on the tunnel, which will cut the light that gets through.

It needs to be washed. This is quite easy to if you have access to a hose pipe with water pressure. However, if you are on a allotment like I am then you will have to find other ways of doing the job.

I use soapy warm water and a very soft broom. I simple stand on a pair of steps and wash the tunnel gently. I try to do this when there is a light rain, which I find helps to wash of the dirt as I loosen it with the broom.

The soap that I use is Aloe Vera MPD

MPD is multiple detergent for cleaning.  It is just a one multi-purpose product  that I use for the laundry, dishes, floor, bathroom,garden pots, car, garden tools, pollytunnel and the glass house. 

A liquid detergent that is highly effective and very economical to use, made by Forever Living Products

  • environmentally friendly.
  • safe
  • great for lifting grime
  • cuts through grease
  • concentrated liquid detergent
  • phosphorus-free
  • biodegradable ingredients

non-abrasive formula contains mild aloe vera to soften and condition your hands and clothes. This revolutionary, multi-purpose cleaner is available only through Forever Living Products.


I also use this to keep my plants free of ‘bugs’ using a mild mix in a spray.

What I am doing on my plot.

I have sown spring cabbage and broad beans. I always sow my seeds in little pots or plugs 
in my glasshouse and then I plant them out when they are bigger enough. I feel I gain time by doing this and get stronger plants.

My winter onions are coming along fine and I have given them a hoe. There is still time to make a plantation of Eschallots, however the work should be done this week. On soils where it is difficult to grow onions from seeds, onion sets may be well substituted, and now is the time to plant them, allowing 15 inches between the rows. If not already done you have still time to make a sowing of leeks.

I have also sowne my sweet peas. Once again they are in pots and I will plant them out  when they are ready. I love sweet peas, they fill the house with wonderful scent.
Thoughts while digging


When am no longer here what happens to what I have done.....what I have started cannot be stopped .......  too many moving parts are in motion.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment