Friday 4 February 2022

Your Soil

 Making sure that your soil is rich in nutrients is essential for growing healthy plants. There are a number of commercial fertilisers on the market, however they can be costly and some contain harmful

chemicals that is why I buy Farm yard manure every year for my allotment. It cost me fifty pounds for a farm trailer full.

 

As you should not use fresh manure on vegetables, particularly root crops, because of the potential of transmitting human pathogens, such as E. coli, fresh manure should never be used on fruits and vegetables.


To over come this, I make a neat heap of the manure and cover it with waterproof sheet and leave it for a year.


 In the summer, I will water the heap five or six times,to keep it moist. This, I belive, keeps the bugs happy and active.


To feed my crops, I spread chicken pellets, rake them in and  plant.


I dig last years manure into my beds as they come empty in the Fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment