Wednesday 20 May 2020

Late Frost.

We have all been caught out, but never so bad as this year. 2020 is the year that three things lined up.

We were all ahead of ourselves. The reason is because of the covid-19 virus and lockdown. We had two much time on our hands, and all looked to the garden for some sanity.

The result of that, a lot of plants were planted a week or two ahead of their time.

We ( here in the UK ) had the hottest April every recorded......so lets go and plant.

Then Bang right in the middle of May we had the hardest frost for 35 years ( for this time of year ) six degrees below. Nothing stood a chance.

We were warned by the weather people and I netted everything and put horticultural   fleece everywhere and apart from sleeping down beside the crops, there was nothing else I could do.

I lost some of my potatoes however they might well spring back, because the frost was not deep in the ground.

My runner beans are all gone and I must replant.

The coquettes lost all their leaves, but the growing tips are still there. It is a question of wait and see.

Beetroot is a wipe out, so must start again.

Strangely, the leaves on my Ginkgo trees all fell off, however it does appear that they are growing again, the same goes for my vine.
They told me it was an ‘air frost”, which makes me ask, what is the different between an air frost and a ground?

Air Frost: The air freezes ( goes below 0 ) up to a height of 1.2 m above the ground.

Ground Frost: is ice at ground level and the harden the frost the deeper it will go into the ground.

Both types will harm soft growth and ground frost can damage roots if it goes too deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment